Disclosure: I am not an expert on this subject. I am only sharing with you what I wish I could have found when I faced a scary situation. Always follow your doctor’s expert advice on this type of thing.
A little while ago, I experienced something that a mommy hopes to never experience. One of those moments where you don’t know what else to do besides call your mother-in-law and cry out to God like you have done only a few times before.
It was a Wednesday night after a very full day. We were winding down for the evening, putting on pajamas, taking vitamins and brushing teeth. It was Ryan’s turn, so I was taking the stickers off of his shirt that he had earned during that day’s speech therapy session.
Benjamin came up with a strange look on his face and handed me a piece of purple paper. I thought it was his sister’s sticker that she had earned and thought nothing of it.
Until I looked over and found these beauties on the floor:
I panicked and ran to him to grab his face, only to see him swallow right in front of me!
My 16 month old son swallowed a magnet!
I started calling my mother-in-law but she didn’t answer. I then went from family member to family member trying to reach her. What was I going to do?
Well, after an exciting evening, I want to share with you what to do if your child swallows a magnet:
- 1. Find a measurement of the magnet. In my case, I had 3 others so I was able to know the precise measurement of it. If you can’t do that, guess on the larger side.
- 2. Do your best to know how many the child swallowed. I knew there were only 4, so he could have only had one.
- 3. Call Poison Control (1-800-222-1222) and tell the person all that you know.
- 4. Call your pediatrician.
- 5. Go get an x-ray if needed.
In our case, Ben only had one magnet which was the size of a dime so we were told to wait until it passed through. If we didn’t see it within 48 hours, or if he began to refuse to eat or get feverish, then we were to go to the emergency room immediately for follow up.
If your child swallows more than one magnet, then go straight to the emergency room for risk that they would gravitate toward each other. If it is larger than a dime, you need to also head in so that it doesn’t block anything.
Thankfully, we found the magnet on the floor in the bathroom the next day, so Ben was safe. But it sure scared this mommy enough that I wanted to share with you what I learned.
Has your child ever swallowed something that scared you before? What did you do?