I love to read. I don’t get the amazing privilege of reading as much these days because of my two lovely children. But when I do, I usually find myself reading an Amish fiction novel or some kind of book that I know will help me with an area in my life that needs worked on.
And now that my little Lion has turned one, I know it is time that I finish getting the weight off! Now, if only I could find a weight loss book from a Christian perspective that I would enjoy reading…
That is when I found The One Day Way by Chantel Hobbs in the queue for review in the Blogging for Books program. I fought the urge for a long time to select it, and then just decided that it couldn’t hurt.
And it didn’t! I found a book with practical advice that helped me feel like I could finally get the weight off. And in my usual Tuesday, Top Ten way, here are 10 things that I learned and plan to enact in my life, thanks to Mrs. Hobbs.
1. Decide it is time to change – I have to make the decision to change before I can change. When I make the initial decision, then the subsequent changes are easier to make.
2. Make tiny goals – When you make smaller goals, your sense of accomplishment and success propels you to make the next smart choice.
3. Make a new goal everyday – When you make a goal everyday, and then meet that goal, you feel like you can make a new goal and do it again. This is how it happened with soda and me. I decided that I could have it if I wanted, but did I really want it? When I said no, it became a small goal that I could meet that day and every day after that.
4. Celebrate every day – Find something to celebrate every day. When you celebrate those goals, then it is easier to make new ones to meet.
5. Don’t focus on how I messed up last time – When I focus on how I messed up, then I am stuck in failure. If I get stuck in failure, then I will never be at a healthy weight. And I am too close to get stuck 10 lbs away from my goal.
6. Enact what I already know – I have read many books on nutrition and my mother in law has taught me a lot. I need to take the information that I already have and use it. That means, eat the veggies instead of the brownie
7. Celebrate for myself – Even if no one else celebrates with me, I can celebrate. And that doesn’t mean I need to drink the Frozen Caramel to celebrate. Just be happy for what I accomplished.
8. Exercise isn’t everything – Yes, exercise is good for weight loss, but it isn’t the only factor. If I miss a day, it isn’t the end of the world. But remember, exercise does make me feel better.
9. Focus on the 10 commandments for eating for weight loss – Sorry, you have to read the book to learn what they are. But I will tell you, they are easy to live by, and make you feel better when you do. It is about more than just eating fruits and veggies. There is eating more, smaller meals in a day…and well, you will have to read the rest in the book.
10. Trust God – He is the one that will give me the grace to make it through. I didn’t get the weight on in one day. Therefore, it won’t come off in one day. He will be there to help me. I am not on my own.
So what about you? Have you read any helpful, good books lately? What did you learn from it and how are you enacting it in your life?
Disclaimer: I was provided with a copy of The One Day Way by Chantel Hobbs in order to facilitate this review. All views are 100% my own. And would you mind taking the time to rate this review? I would really appreciate it